An exciting program that prepares the graduate for employment in the operating room and in the surgical arena through classroom, laboratory and clinical experience in the local medical community.
Surgical technologists are vital members of the surgical team. They assist in the operating room under the guidance of the surgeon, registered nurse and other members of the surgical team. Some of their skills and responsibilities are:
- The sterile set up in the operating room with sterile instruments, equipment, and supplies.
- Gowning and gloving the surgeon and assistants
- Assist with the sterile draping of the patient
- Pass sterile instruments and equipment to the surgeon
- Keeping track of and counting sterile sponges, needles, and instruments
- Proper handling of surgical specimens
- Hold retractors
- Cut suture
- Prepare dressings or bandages and apply or assist with their application following surgery
- Adjust, assemble, or monitor state-of-the-art equipment, such as robotics
Upon completion of the surgical technology program, the graduate receives an REOC certificate and is eligible to sit for the national certifying exam through the National Center for Competency Testing.
How to Apply:
The following information should be noted when applying to either the REOC Licensed Practical Nursing Program (LPN) or the Surgical Technologist Program (STP):
- Applications are accepted at any time during the year.
- The last TABE testing date is March 1st for individuals applying for the upcoming academic year program.
- Individuals applying AFTER March 1st will be considered for the next following academic year program.
- Applicants are required to attend and complete an information session PRIOR TO scheduling an interview.
- Information sessions are held each month at REOC, 161 Chestnut Street. The schedules will be posted and updated on the website. NO PRIOR REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED for the information sessions.
Important dates for individuals applying for the 2013-2014 LPN and STP Programs:
April 15, 2013
All interviews must be concluded by this date.
May 10, 2013
Candidate acceptance or non-selection letters are mailed.
First week of June, 2013
Accepted candidates complete Registration process into the LPN or STP programs.
If you want to start the application process for the LPN program, click on the "Apply Now" icon on the right-side of this page start the application process.
Explore This Career in Video:
Surgical Technologists: English Version | Spanish Version
You need Windows Media Player to view these videos. Select the Windows Media Player link to download the free software.
High School Diploma or GED
Q: What is the cost of the program?
A: The program is tuition-free. Please contact the Admissions department for additional information.
Q: What is the potential job market for a surgical tech?
A: Locally and nationally, surgical technology is a growing field in health care. The graduates from the REOC surgical technology program average 80% to 100% job placement. Click Here to view career options in America's Job Bank.
Q: What is the pay rate?
A: In the Rochester area, the average pay rate is $11-$13 per hour. Working off shifts, on call, or traveling surgical techs can make significantly more per hour.
Q: Is the surgical technician licensed or certified?
A: The surgical technician who graduates from the REOC receives a school certificate and is eligible to take a national certification exam with the National Center for Competency Center.
Q: What is the length of the program?
A: Please see our Admissions section for more information.
Q: What are the hours and days of the program?
A: Please view our program offering sheet and Admissions section for more information.
Careers for the successful graduate include: surgical technologist in a hospital operating room or free-standing clinical operating room. Graduates can work as surgical technologists in a variety of specialty services such as heart, orthopedic, or transplant surgeries. Graduates can also use this course as a stepping stone to a career in health care such as a registered nurse.
Click Here to view career options in America's Job Bank.
*MUST MEET SUNY/REOC Requirements.
**Requirements may vary by program/course and are subject to change without notice.
Immunization records, Income verification, US Citizenship or Legal Alien status and Picture Identification required for ALL programs. Please call (585) 232-2730 ext. 235 for the most up-to-date information. The Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) is given to all applicants to ensure that program reading and/or math requirements are met, and to ensure program completion and success.
Programs, courses descriptions, fees and schedules are subject to change without notice.
REOC does not discriminate on any basis. REOC facilities meet accessibility guidelines.
NOTE: ALL INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
Click Here to see REOC Admission Requirements. View Health Care Program Checklist and Certificate of Health Statement.